Today we are taking on a recipe from An Oregon Cottage and their flourless Almond and Coconut Bars. We made some slight changes like leaving out the sugar, only using 1/2 the recommended honey, and no flax seeds. I’m sure it tastes way better with those things but no one needs that much sugar haha!
We put up a live video on our Facebook Page showing how we made it with our substitutions plus you’ll see our bonus 3-Ingredient Peannut Butter Cups Recipe!!!
Here’s the original recipe from the site:
- First Layer:
- ½ c. coconut sugar (or sucanat, or brown sugar)
- ⅓ c. butter (you can use coconut oil, but you’ll need to keep them refrigerated)
- 1 c. almond meal (or almond flour)
- 2 Tb. ground flax
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. honey
- 2 Tb. almond meal or flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ c. dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 9-inch square pan with parchment (or foil – you’ll need the overhang to remove the bars).
- Make the first layer by mixing the sugar and butter until creamy and then adding the almond meal and flax, stirring to combine well. Press into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes until brown around the edges. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the second layer by beating the eggs in a medium bowl. Add all the remaining second layer ingredients, mixing well and pour onto the partially baked first layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes more, or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 24 bars.
- For the drizzle, melt the chocolate chips with the oil and use a spoon to drizzle over the bars evenly (you can do this before cutting or after cutting, it’s up to you).
The right half is the recipe above and the left we added some oats, pb , and dates to see what happened. For the most part the modified original recipe was really good. Our randomness on the left was ok but not as tasty.
If you make this give us a shout and tell us how it turned how.
Don’t forget to check out the live video on SOL FIT Project Facebook Page to see our version of this recipe plus the bonus recipe of 3-Ingredient Peannut Butter Cups!!!