Have you ever heard to eat the actual avocado seed and not just the avocado? Welp, if you have you’re way ahead of me because I always assumed the seed was not to be eaten.  *I have always used the seed only to help keep the avocado fresh when I’m not using the whole avocado. (See below)

I was reading an unrelated article on wheat and came across an interesting find on avocados. I clicked the link which took me to realfarmacy.com and the headline said Avocado Seeds- Superfoods for Your Health and I was shocked.  I had always assumed the seed was in some way, toxic to humans or surely I would have heard more about the subject.

THE CLAIM 

Real Farmacy claims the seed contains oils, soluble fiber, and antioxidants. In fact, Real Farmacy says 70% of the antioxidants are found in the seed vs. the other 30% being in the skin and actual flesh of the avocado.  All they suggest you have to do is put the seed in a baggie and mash it up.  Then blend the seed to a fine grade in a food processor or other device. Now, you can sprinkle on any food item or add to a shake, maybe?

“-Some find it soothing to gastric ulcers because the seed contains antioxidants in it known as phenolic compounds. These compounds contain antibacterial and anti-viral properties, which makes the seeds effective at preventing ulcers within the lining of the digestive system.” – realfarmacy.com

And it’s not just Real Farmacy, I came across other sites with similar claims and lots of recipes for the seeds. BUT…

NOT SO FAST.

According to Health.com you SHOULD NOT CONSUME the seed of an avocado.  The body of evidence is very slim on this issue and on top of that, most of the research actually performed, uses the avocado seed extract.

Straight from the California Avocado Commission, “The California Avocado Commission does not recommend consumption of the “pit” or seed of an avocado. The seed of an avocado contains elements that are not intended for human consumption.”

I looked into other credible sources all saying the same thing, DO NOT CONSUME until more research is performed.  If you go onto pubmed.com and type in avocado seed some studies will show up but the related search button prompts you to search avocado seed toxicity.

FINAL WORD.

While I am not ruling anything out, new data and research in the future could shed more light on this subject.  For now, stick to the flesh.  Avocados contain good amounts of healthy fats, dietary fiber, antioxidants and so much more.  All of this can be consumed without running the risk of GI distress or other complications.

All you need to do is crack one open, place on your favorite food, sandwich, or make some awesome guac which will actually have an awesome guac recipe as part of our Meal Prep Sunday this Sunday.

 

Happy Training!

 

*Bonus Tip:

To help preserve an avocado if you’re not using all of it at once, cut the avocado in half and leave the side with the seed in it and place in a refrigerator safe container until you need it later.  Heads up though, even with the seed in the other half, browning will still occur pretty quickly but you should be okay for same day use.


For more information you can check out:

  1. http://realfarmacy.com/avocado-seeds-superfoods-for-your-health/
  2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?Db=pubmed&term=avocado%20seed%20toxicity
  3. http://www.health.com/food/no-you-shouldnt-start-eating-avocado-seeds
  4. https://www.californiaavocado.com/faqs
  5. https://www.californiaavocado.com/blog/march-2016/is-it-safe-to-eat-the-avocado-seed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s